Early 1920s // Where it all began
Mr A.W.P. Olsen, a local real estate agent began inviting people to play bowls at “The Green”, a four rink bowling green attached to his home “Oakdene” at 41 Murrumbeena Road, Murrumbeena.
May 12th, 1923 // Growing
As interest in playing bowls grew, 36 mainly local residents held a meeting at “The Green” to form the Murrumbeena Bowls Club.
August 5th, 1924 // First AGM
The club’s first Annual General Meeting was held.
1925 // Buying the land
Initially bowls continued to be played at the “The Green” but as membership grew, Mr Galt, one of the Club founders offered to purchase two suitable blocks of land for £770 at the current Blackwood Street site. The Green was completed.
1927 // The Clubhouse
The Clubhouse had been built at a cost of £1100.
Late 1980s // Grass Green
The grass green had been in continuous use for over 60 years.
1990 // Synthetic Grass
Murrumbeena Bowls Club became one of the first Victorian bowls clubs to install a synthetic green.
2014 // Synthetic Grass
We liked this type of green so much that by 2014, we had installed our third synthetic green. What’s not to like – we play all year round even under lights.