We Welcome All

Mr A.W.P. Olsen, a local real estate agent began inviting people to play bowls at “The Green”, a four rink bowling green attached to his home “Oakdene” at 41 Murrumbeena Road, Murrumbeena in the early 1920s.

36 local residents held a meeting on 12 May 1923 at “The Green” to form the Murrumbeena Bowls Club. The Club’s first Annual General Meeting was held on 5 August 1924. Bowls continued to be played at the “The Green” but as membership grew, Mr Galt, one of the Club founders offered to purchase two suitable blocks of land for £770 at the current Blackwood Street site. In January 1925 the green and the pavilion were opened.

In 1990 after having a grass green in continuous use for over 60 years, Murrumbeena Bowls Club became one of the first Victorian bowls clubs to install a synthetic green. We have continued that tradition and installed our 3rd synthetic green in 2014.

From its earliest beginnings, the Murrumbeena Bowls Club has had a strong sense of community. It’s tradition as a social hub for the Murrumbeena Village continues today.

Be surprised. “The Green” is more than bowls.

OUR VALUED SPONSORS